Preheat oven to 375 degrees
STEP 1: Mix dry ingredients
- 1-3/4 all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2-1/2 tsp baking POWDER
- 1/2 tsp baking SODA
- 1 tsp salt
- Measure dry ingredients into a medium bowl
- Whisk to combine
STEP 2: Add butter
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter (very cold)
- Grate butter over the bowl. Do just a little at at time, stopping to mix it in so the grated pieces are separate and coated with flour, before adding more more.
STEP 3: Mix wet ingredients
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
- Add wet ingredients to a large bowl
- Whisk well to combine
STEP 4: Make dough
- Add the dry ingredients and incorporate. You don’t want to overmix it, because you want the separate pieces of butter
STEP 5: Shape biscuits
- Dust countertop with flour
- Place dough on top, dust with flour, and press into a rectangle shape.
- Fold into three, then roll into a 1″ thickness
- Loosen it from the countertop so it’s not stuck down
- Cut into 1/2″ to 1″ rounds and place on baking sheet. It’s good to put them about 1/2″ apart, so they don’t lean. And a real cookie cutter works better than a glass; the sharp edges help them to rise high.
- Bake 8 minutes, rotate, and bake 5~7 minutes more.