These “Perfectly Pillowy Cinammon Rolls” are King Arthur Baking Company’s 2020 Recipe of the Year. What really makes them stand out is that they can be made a day (or two or three) ahead of time without losing their fluffy structure. I read all 389+ comments so you don’t have to, and listed reviewers’ tips that I found most useful. My advice? Make half with orange marmalade — you won’t regret it! And, yes, they do have recipes for two icings; I just forgot to take a photo.
King Arthur Baking Company’s Perfectly Pillowy Cinammon Rolls
- Make 10 or 12 instead of 8 (many folks found them too large)
- Tuck the end bit under the rolls so it doesn’t separate out during baking
- Pat the filling down, to make it stick, rather than use more butter (cuz it’ll just melt and ooze out)
- Use a cake pan for straight/even rolls (KA suggests putting them spaced apart on a cookie sheet. Many readers found that they then leaned a lot.) I used 2 cake pans. You could also use a muffin tin for 12, or a 13″ x 9″ pan.
- You can cool, then put the icing on, and freeze
- Don’t roll to tight, they won’t rise as well
- Add raisins to the frosting
- Use a 13″ x 9″ pan
- Brown the butter for the filling (2.5 tblsp)
- Cut off ends to make them neater
- 1% or 2% milk works, as does non-dairy milks and butters
- Add some cardamon to the orange rolls’ icing
- Add 1/4 tsp cardomon to the melted butter you brush on top
- Pinch rolls to seal