Fun to make, and delicious to eat! Because they are made with an “enriched” dough (dough that contains butter and milk), they can be made a day ahead and then reheated in the oven just prior to serving.
STEP 1: Bloom yeast
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2-1/4 tsp yeast
- Measure milk into a 2-cup pyrex measuring cup. Heat in microwave to about 110 degrees
- Add yeast and whisk to combine
- Let rest for 5 minutes
STEP 2: Prepare dough
- 5 Tbsp softened butter, cut into rough sized portions
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp dried herbs (OPTIONAL! But feel free to add some thyme, rosemary, and/or oregano…)
- Mix in butter and sugar. Stir around a bit and let rest. It’s okay if the butter does not dissolve completely into the milk.
- 650 grams (5-1/4 cups) bread flour
- 1-1/4 tsp table salt or 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 egg
- Measure flour and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix on low speed with paddle attachment to combine.
- With paddle still going, add the milk mixture.
- Break egg into the now empty Pyrex measurer and whisk
- Add egg to the dough to combine
- Let rest 5 minutes
STEP 3: Knead dough and proof
- With dough hook, knead for 3 minutes on m/l speed until a nice dough forms and everything is thoroughly combined. Should be slightly tacky, but not sticky.
- Turn out and flatten into a disc. Grab a corner and stretch it out and fold inwards.
- Rotate and do this 3 more times.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, 60~90 minutes.
STEP 4: Shape rolls
- Put about 1/4 cup of flour in a small bowl.
- Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces, about 93~94 grams each.
- Wipe the work surface with water or oil.
- Form your hand into a tight cup and gently press down, and rotate a piece of dough to form a ball.
- With sissors, cut one piece of dough into 3, then lightly coat each one with flour.
- Form back into a ball, then place in one of the muffin cups. It’ll be a tight fit.
- Continue with the remaining eleven dough balls.
STEP 5: 2nd proof & bake
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cover the muffin tin loosely with plastic wrap and proof rolls until they nearly double in size, 60 to 90 minutes.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Rotate the tin 180 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 7 more minutes.
- Let the rolls cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the tin.