Thin crust pizzas usually call for a more delicate sauce than thick crust — and you only use a little bit. Here are versions for both an uncoooked version, for thin crusts, and a more hearty version for your thicker crusts. Freeze leftover sauce in muffin tins, then transfer to a zip-lock bag. Usually use 1/4 cup per pizza.
UNCOOKED (for thin crust)
- 28 oz whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 6 ~ 8 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, plus more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut each tomato in half, then drain, reserving sauce for another use
- Add all other ingredients and blend
COOKED (for thick crust)
- 28 oz San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt, pepper & red pepper flakes to taste
- Cut each tomato in half, then drain, reserving sauce
- Saute onions and sugar in oil until golden brown.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and spices and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Blend, adding reserved sauce if necessary