Some recipes call for carefully scraping away all the pith. I prefer the thicker peels, with a more pronounced bitter-sweet tang.
- Citrus fruit
- Cut ends off fruit, then slice into quarters (or eighths if very large)
- Cut peel off, trimming away some of the pith, if very thick, then cut into strips
- Put peels in a pan, cover with water, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and repeat.
- Return peels to the pot, and add equal amounts water and sugar to generously cover the peels. Simmer about 30 minutes, until white part is translucent.
- Drain, then place on a rack to cool.
- Shake in a bag full of sugar to dust.