Hamburgers originated in Hamburg, Germany, with the meat patty typically served between two slices of toast. The use of a soft bun was popularized by a fry cook named Walter Anderson, who in 1921 founded the White Castle hamburger chain, home of the “slider”.
These soft buns are made with 80% whole wheat flour, enriched with whole milk and butter, and topped with an Everything Bagel seasoning mix. You can make them vegan by using any non-dairy milk, and substituting a plant based oil for the butter. If you’re looking to make an all-white flour version, try the brioche-style Burger Buns from Week 10.
STEP 1: Make dough
- 240ml warm milk (120°)
- 2 eggs (1 for dough + 1 to used as an egg wash)
- 240g whole wheat flour
- 60g bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 7g yeast
- 27g sugar
- 13g salt
- 28g softened butter
- Everything Bagel seasoning
- Mix one of the eggs in with the warm milk and whisk to combine
- Measure out flours, yeast, sugar, salt into the bowl of a stand mixer, and whisk by hand to combine
- Place bowl in stand mixer, and with the paddle attachment, mix on low while slowly addingthe milk/egg until combined
- Add the butter in bits and continue to mix on low until combined
- Beat on high for 2 minutes
- On low speed, add 3 Tbsp bread flour until dough is more sturdy and comes away from the sides of the bowl
STEP 2: Rest dough
- Put 1 Tbsp flour on countertop, then empty dough on top.
- Gently knead flour into the dough so it is less sticky, using a dough scrapper if it sticks to the counter
- Place in oiled bowl, cover, and let rest 30 minutes.
STEP 3: Shape buns
- Scrape the flour off the countertop, then lighly coat in oil
- Empty dough onto the counter
- Cut dough into 8 pieces, about 80 – 90g each
- Flatten each piece, pull sides up and over, turn over and shape into a ball with a tight surface. (Check out this video on the Tips page)
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet about a finger width apart
- Cover and and let rise about 30-35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400
STEP 4: Bake
- Just before baking, mix second egg with 1 Tbsp water and brush on top of buns, then sprinkle with the Everything Bagel seasoning
- Turn oven down to 375, and bake for 12-15 minutes
- Cool on wire rack.
- Don’t cut until just before serving!