We made pitas with all purpose flour for Week 4: Pita. This time around we’ve used whole wheat flour and baked them in the oven, rather than the stove top. This would be fun to make with the kids; they’re sure to enjoy shaping the balls of dough, rolling them out, and then watching them puff up in the oven.
This makes 6 pitas. They are best eaten fresh, so I only make what we can eat right away.
Step 1: Make dough
- 1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2-1/4 tsp yeast (1 packet)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine
- Add the water and then the olive oil on top of the water
- Place bowl in the stand mixer, and with the dough hook, mix on medium speed to combine, scraping sides with a rubber spatula to made sure verything’s incorporated. You might have to turn it off, and lift the hook up so you can get the dry bits from the bottom.
- Once it’s mixed, lower to #2 and knead for 10 minutes, unitl it comes away from the bowl. If it’s still sticking to the sides, add 1 tablespoon of four, but no more.
- Cover and let proof in a warm place for 1-2 hours, until doubled in size.
Step 2: Shape
- Preheat oven to 550, or as high as it will go
- Cut 3 sheets of parchment paper the size of your baking/cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet in oven — without the parchment paper sheets.
- Scrape dough out of the bowl onto a heavily floured countertop and divide into 6 pieces
- Form into balls by stretching out the sides then folding them in towards the center. Turn over and shape into a ball. View “Shaping into a Ball” on the Video page.
- Cover and let rest for about 45 minutes.
- Dust the countertop with flour, and the tops of each ball, then roll out to about 5 inches diameter. If they spring back, let it rest, move on to another one, then go back to it.
- Place 2 pitas on each sheet, and let rest 15 minutes.
Step 3: Bake
- Put the pitas close to the oven.
- Open the door, slide the rack out that has the cookie sheet, then carefully lift the parchment with one set of pitas and place them on the cookie sheet
- Slide back in and close door.
- Bake 2 minutes, then flip the pitas with tongs and bake another two minutes. Try to move fast, so the oven doesn’t loose too much heat.
- Repeat two more times. Make sure to wrap the baked pitas so they don’t dry out as they cool.